Saturday, April 14, 2012

On the Positive Side

The most interesting and important concept from Trenholm (2011) in chapter 6 is Relational Maintenance Behavior. I thought the concepts of positivity, openness, assurance, networks, task sharing, conflict management, and advice sharing-offering are characteristics of a successful relationship. Whether it’s platonic or romantic these concepts can help shape and improve relationships. The most important one I believe is positivity. According to Trenholm positivity is where partners are cheerful and optimistic, build each other’s self-esteem, patient and forgiving, and refrain from criticism. While I don’t completely agree that we can comply with these guidelines constantly we should always remain objective about situations and know that we are all human and make mistakes.
The concept I believe to be the most useful is task sharing. Trenholm states that task sharing is where individuals are both equally responsible in a relationship and both help with tasks that need to be done (2011). This reminds me of teamwork. Teamwork can help improve on communication and also simplify issues that seem difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Mall7,
    I also picked the relationship maintenance strategies as my third post. I agree with all the strategies it talked about and how they all are important parts of keeping relationships healthy and happy. I’ve learned that you should always be positive in a relationship. Everyone likes to get complements and get positive feedback. Conflict management is a complicated part of any relationship. I’m the type of person that likes to jeep things in, so I’ve had a hard time trying to resolve conflicts in any relationship. You have to be willing to express yourself and learn how to take criticism when its needed.

    ReplyDelete