In regards to rigid complementarity, competitive symmetry, and submissive symmetry I would have to argue that rigid complimentarity would be the hardest to change. Being that I once lived under the strict rules of my parents and now being a parent myself I understand how this concept would be hard to change. As a child, adolescent, and young adult I was constantly making the wrong decisions-even when I thought I was making good ones. Therefore I believe parents naturally assume the position as the “one-up” person to help guide their children to make proper decisions. Now that I’m a parent I want to do the same for my child. Though it will be frustrating at times I believe that it’s hard to change because parents will want to be the person in charge.
Out of the three concepts the one I think would be the most damaging would be competitive symmetry. In Trenholm it states that to individuals compete to be in the higher position (2011). I think this is damaging to any relationship when competition is involved. Friendships rely on equal ability and mutual understanding to sustain a relationship. Competitiveness will only add tension eventually resulting in negative feelings. I also believe this concept can cause self-esteem issues. If two individuals are in constant opposition one person may eventually think the other is better-even though it’s not true. I’ve seen this happen in many friendships through high school where teens compete for popularity.
No comments:
Post a Comment