Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dating in the Workplace

The one concept from chapter 8 in Trenholm I’d like to discuss is workplace relationships. I found this topic interesting because there have been stigmas attached to dating in the workplace as taboo and to not consider the option for years. However it seems that the stigma is quickly fading. For the most part I would agree that having a workplace relationship can be complicated. But if it happens to work out in the end, that would be the more positive aspect. The negative aspect is that it may not work out. When it doesn’t work out things can get complicated. For example if the two individuals worked in the same department and there is a need for constant interaction a break-up might have an impact on workflow. On the other hand if the two individuals work in a large corporation and in separate departments, complications won’t be as evident. None the less work relationships should be carefully thought through before engaging.

1 comment:

  1. I like your post! I agree that dating in the workplace carries a lot of taboos and can create a lot of problems with work if the couple should break up. However, I like that you pointed out that those essentially negative connotations are now dissipating. I know several people who are happily married to each other and they first met in the work place. I think work can sometimes be a fantastic place for creating relationships because work really demonstrates a lot of qualities of a person such as work ethic, time management, determination and so on. I would say that you should be cautious when engaging in a work relationship and make sure you understand how to behavior "properly" at work so that it isn't affecting your work ethic. However, I have definitely seen it work so I think its completely possible. Just depends on the people and their ability to handle the combination or work and romance.

    ReplyDelete