Saturday, April 21, 2012

Communication Etiquette

Cellular phones have definitely contributed to life conveniences. Answering machines are now a thing of the past. Conference calls have narrowed down the distance between important contacts. Faxes have found ways for important documents to be imported at faster rates. Among these technological communication types, I believe call phones have caused numerous annoyances as well. Most of the annoyances I have noticed are when people use them while driving-really? I know we can all be guilty of it, but if we can live through decades of driving without talking on a phone why stop now? Along with the annoyances it can also be very dangerous.
Timing communication is key to any fundamental concern, especially in regards to time zones. For example one shouldn’t send a fax or make a phone call at 9 pm in California to someone in New York because it would midnight. Setting up email or internet screen names for work versus personal is important. You wouldn’t want your work screen name to be “big.papa.4.u” because people may not take you seriously. It just seems to be common etiquette. Call waiting use to be an exciting feature. Being able to take two phone calls at home sounded convenient. However to others it can become quite irritating. The question I pose for this is if I am to call first, why should I hold on so you can a second? What I have to say about call waiting is that they can wait.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mall7,

    I can agree with you on how "we can live though decades of driving without talking on the phone, why stop now?" To have proper etiquette, one must be considerate of another person. Often times, I find people either selfish or distracted from their surroundings that they forget to be polite. As for call waiting, I find handy when I hear the call waiting tone. For example, when I call a friend and I hear that tone, I automatically hang up because I would not want to disrupt her call. Plus, I am sure she would appreciate it and call me back when she is done with her call.

    ReplyDelete