Saturday, February 11, 2012
Misinterpreting
I thought the psychological model was interesting considering the way we communicate today. The psychological model discusses how “meanings intended by the source differ from the meanings interpreted by the source”. I believe this happens more often now because of the increasing use of technology. In our current generation there is consistent use of email and messaging through cell phones. I wanted to point out how messages through email or texting can be easily misinterpreted. For this reason is because body language and emotions can’t be seen or felt through a message. From personal experience, a friend thought I was mad because I wouldn’t reply to her text message when in actuality my phone was turned off. Messages cannot relay tone, reasoning, or feelings which are necessary for successful communication. When there is a lack of interpersonal communication messages can become confusing. These examples signify the psychological model and how they are present in today’s society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your post was interesting and intriguing to read. It is a perfect topic because we are all affected by technology and the ways it has molded our world. We are all sensitive to how one another utilize technology. In your description of “meanings intended by the source differing from the meaning interpreted by the source” was terrific. Using things like the smiley face, and frown face do not begin to show the vast emotions and expressions humans have.
ReplyDeleteI recently had a situation where an acquaintance was upset because I did not post things to her Facebook enough. My first thought was, “We aren’t even close friends”, and my second thoughts was, “I don’t use Facebook often enough for this to be a median of communication”. I have a Facebook but I would rather call a friend because it is a more personal form of communication. It is interpretations such as these that make relationships harder to form and harder to keep.
This post was very interesting for me to read because it is all so true. You explained things very well here and basically took words straight from my mouth. I liked that you brought up that it's hard to tell how people mean things when it's over email and texting. I know whenever I get a text I misinterpret what people say to me sometimes and I'll think they're mad when they're not at all. What you said about when there's a lack of interpersonal communication messages can be confusing is totally true. Even though I'd rather text someone than go talk to them face to face, I definitely think that's the best way to communicate with someone so there's no confusion what so ever.
ReplyDeleteI discussed the psychological model as well. I am taking a psychology class this semester so when i read about this in the book it all made sense. I absolutely agree with what you said. Nowadays people don’t always communicate face to face or over the phone because technology is rising. Technology has made it so easy to misinterpret one another. You are right about there being no body language or emotions when things are said via email or text messaging which makes everything seem monotone. You can’t tell if someone is mad, happy or sad when they express themselves through technology. Although there are smiley faces now that can help close friends and family express themselves, you probably would use those in a professional setting.
ReplyDelete