Saturday, February 4, 2012

Memory

One concept I wanted to discuss is one of the five canons of rhetoric. The one I think is the most important to note is memory. Memory is “the ability to hold content, style, and arrangement in one’s mind” (Trenholm). As with any good speech, being able to recall facts or data can be crucial for success. Also with memory, it’s useful during debates. The theory behind memory is that if a speaker can remember quickly, there is little room for error. I think it’s also useful for speakers because you don’t want to look like you’re reading off a piece of paper. Speakers tend to know their information better when information is memorized. It’s beneficial for a speaker to have a good memory so a speech can flow with ease. Memory also helps keep complex parts of a speech in order. It’s as if holding all the information from an outline inside your head.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn’t agree with you more Mall7! Memory is so important, kudos to you because I’m not sure I could decide which one of the five cannons was the most important as they are all so critical to create the whole package, know what I mean? That said, I want to agree with you again, memory is critical especially if the style you chose for your speech is of a casual or conversational tone. There is nothing worse than hearing a speaker either stumble because they have forgotten their speech or sound like a robot because they have memorized their speech to the extreme. Honestly, I have a terrible memory so I have aquired the skill of adlibbing until I remember what the heck I was talking about! LOL If you have any suggestions on how to sharpen my memory, I am open to hear them!

    Thanks,
    The Fur-Kid

    ReplyDelete