Thursday, February 9, 2012

Communicating Culture

When I think of building worlds in the American culture, I think of consumer waste. Not to say that the entire American culture is wasteful, I’m just using it as an example to how I visualize other countries. Here in America there is a need for everything consumable involving paper goods (i.e. toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, napkins). I think mainly about paper products because there are so many variations of the sort! Honestly do we need that many? When I traveled to different parts of Asia, paper goods simply didn’t exist or there was very little of. Here in America it’s everywhere! I think it’s a big part of the way we “build worlds” because it’s been engrained in the way we live for as long as I can remember. We communicate to future generations that it’s ok to consistently use paper products, and we keep doing so. As for it being successful, I would have to say it’s not because we are the main cause to our own waste.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I thought your example for paper products were hilarious! It is a great example to use to describe communicating culture. I agree with you that in parts of Asia, there is not a whole lot of variety for paper products. I remember I traveled to Hong Kong just this past winter break and there was only about 3-4 different paper products. But here in America, it’s kind of scary to walk down the aisle of Target and Walmart to see different variety of paper products when paper is nothing special! I also agree with you that America’s future will continue to think it’s ok to consistently waste paper. But who knows, that might change since all supermarkets require people to bring their own bags if you don’t want to purchase a paper bag for 10 cents.

    ReplyDelete