Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thoughts on Medium

From page 5 of the Medium is the Message, McLuhan points out a relevant literary piece by Wyndham Lewis called the Childermass.  This particular piece explains how accelerated media is destroying the innocent.  This made me think of how children are raised in this generation with playstations, wiis, the internet and the television.  Not only do I think about how children no longer want to go outside and play, but they would rather stay inside to update their myspace.  As in relation to personal experience, my little 13 year old sister does precisely this.  Whenever I go to visit at my parents house, I always see my sister constantly on the computer.  When dinner time rolls around, I have to literally peel her away, and for 5 minutes max as she stuffs her face with whatever is being served-ridiculous!  I don’t think she even owns a bike.
Another point I’d like to reflect on is how the money medium affected 17th century Japan.  The money medium forced Japan into western modernization after being secluded in their own culture for centuries.  Of course they are not the only culture that has adopted western culture, but I believe they have surpassed.  My fiancée works for a Japan based software company, and works with people from Japan daily.  He compares their knowledge and work ethic as that of hard working Americans times 10.  Here I thought that people in American society are overworked by having 8 to 12 hour workdays-and for some at times seems extensive. However for the Japanese, when something needs to get done, there is no limit to time.  I don’t believe this came solely from western culture as opposed to Japanese culture, but perhaps a combination of the two.   

No comments:

Post a Comment