Thursday, February 10, 2011

Online relationships-meaningful or not?


At first glance, The quality of online relationships by Cummings, Butler and Kraut, was another simple statistical study-simple yet useful information to know.  Based on current social needs, many people have turned to using the internet to communicate.  I stated before in an earlier post that I prefer face-to-face communication for one reason- it is less impersonal.  I always thought that utilizing the internet as a means to maintain relationships was not useful.  From the study, college students thought that electronic mail seemed to be worse for maintaining personal relationships.  I couldn’t agree more.  For one reason is because I wouldn’t email my mom to see how she was doing- I would rather call her.  So I believe why should it be any different from other close relationships?  While on the topic of online relationships, the study also suggested “that the nature of social relationships differ on and off the internet.”  This made me think of Facebook.  I have found many old friends through the networking site but I never particularly communicate with any of them other than online.  Friends that I actually meet up with and have face-to-face encounters are more meaningful.  I tend to keep in touch with them more often versus the ones on-line.  

1 comment:

  1. Mall7, Your posting sounds a lot like mine it seems we, and other students really agree on the topic! It is funny, lol, that we are all online building relationships right now but prefer face to face. I actually said the ame thing that I have a stronger bond with people I actually see. I believe it there are three reasons for this. Mainly the use of humor, story telling,showing empathy and the use of language. In person we can vibe off anothers immediate reaction or story, and also show empathy. We can interact in stories and gossip, instantaneously. Online there is a time lapse, witholding of personal opinions (as to not be misunderstood through lack of facial expressions and non-verbal communication) In general keeping up an already established relationship seems more realistic than trying to build one online. I actually tried eharmony(silly me) thinking Id find a great guy, haha. Typing, texting and lack of laughter quickly made me realize why I am a COMMUNICATIONS major and not a computer engineer. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete