Space and time were conquered by the written word (pg. 16) as stated in The Written Word article, was the first statement that caught my attention. I have read it before in other communication books, yet it is still fascinating. For one reason is that it makes me think of how our communication as a culture has evolved since the beginning of time and continues to do so. We invented the printing press to mass communicate with people, which the Internet has now taken over.
Now there is the use of e-mail. Also from the article “E-mail is enthusiastically used by many people”. I remember when I set up my first e-mail account and how excited I was to receive messages from all my friends. Now I use my e-mail to get news and updates from various sites I visit on the Internet-extremely functional. I can see why people choose e-mail over the phone. It’s simple, easy to use, and you can read it anytime of the day. E-mail too can shorten the gap between time and space.
I also remember getting my first email address. I was so excited. I remember instant messaging was really big in high school. It was so cool that people were able to communicate instantaneously. I have never been a phone person so I liked the fact that I could do other things while talking with friends online. I don't know what I would do without email. It is so convenient and accessible. I also like that it is a written form of communication because if you are setting up plans with someone and forget the time or place you are meeting, you can just go back to the email and check instead of calling the other person. In the end, communication is an ever changing process and I am excited to see where we go from here.
ReplyDelete