Saturday, February 19, 2011

Obama for education


In an article from Yahoo news, Obama’s idea of increasing our education in math and science while also focusing on internet use was the topic of this current update.  Over the last week the President came to the Silicon Valley to work with software companies to aid in this project.  Anything that has to do with education is a wonderful idea, and having technology take part is even greater.  We all know that with the use of modern technology, many educational tools could be combined together.  Not only can technology help, but the tech companies as well.  We are so lucky to live in a place rich with technology and have booming businesses to help fund our education.  Technology thus is aiding in more ways than one.  However in the article it stated that newly elected Republicans are pushing for other budget cuts and resisting spending.  My thoughts on that was WHAT?!  Honestly I think education should be one of the last things to be cut out of the budget.  Part of Obama’s goal to work with these companies is to re-route budget cuts for education.  Hopefully it will kick in soon because these college fees are digging into my savings!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110220/ap_on_re_us/us_obama;_ylt=AmD9W1RpBG9gX4Co4V412pEjtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTI5Nmk0MDVqBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjIwL3VzX29iYW1hBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNmdWxsbmJzcHN0b3I-

2 comments:

  1. I think Obama's focus on internet use is very important. Nowadays, Children as young as 5 are actively using facebook. Many children do not always think about what they are posting, and things that they post can get them in trouble at school and home. Something else that people tend to forget is the fact that much of what is posted online cannot be taken off, and is stored online in some form forever. When kids apply for professional jobs 10 years down the line, they might have inappropriote things online. I see it happening so much today that I can only hope for a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently working at a middle school and one of the programs we have participated in for the past few years is a program called Computers for Youth (http://www.cfy.org/), which basically aims to get all kids a refurbished desktop computer in their home. Each computer is LOADED with tons of programs and software for the students to help them learn new skills in math, science, language arts and even social studies. I think Obama has his heart in the right place, and it is unfortunate to know that there are many in higher places that think education in this country can afford budget cuts. Whatever happened to the children being our future? I hope his plan to re-route the funding works! #CHANGE

    -SimplyBlack

    ReplyDelete