First thing I learned from reading the Antecedents and Consequences of Online social Networking Behavior: The Case of Facebook by Adam Acar was that there was a communication tool set up early in 1978. This was setup by the Us office of Civilian Defense for the New Jersey Institute of Technology. The communication tool was to help users communicate through email and bulletin boards online-yet this was simply the beginning to networking. This article’s focus was on the evolution of internet networking and the effects on human behavior. I liked how the articles focus was on psychological factors in people. It touched upon body image, anxiety, and introversion vs. extroversion. I think it’s true that people focus on those certain aspects of themselves particularly online. It’s almost as if we consume ourselves with how we project our personas online and those traits we like to keep hidden. Either way it does seem to mess with our psyche in one way or another.
I completely agree with you. It is crazy how people try and mold themselves into how they want to be portrayed across Facebook. I remember my sister calling my wife and freaking out about how she looked in a picture my wife tagged her in and begged her to pull it down. But nothing is more telling than the ridiculous “update” wall posts. Like we really care if you heading to the gym to get your workout on or how you are really really sleepy today. I just don’t understand the need to pass on such useless information to others.
ReplyDelete