Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Internet Networking Revolution

I found that the Be who you want to be article based on Facebook networking was quite intriguing.  I think of myself as an old soul and really prefer the old fashioned way of communication which is by phone or face-to-face encounters.  However I do have a Facebook account of my own to keep in touch with relatives overseas.  Regardless of why others choose to use the Internet to network, it serves many different purposes for everyone.  Reading through this article I found that many people like to network on-line to establish an identity. From the article George Herbert Mead argues how the self is established through communication.  I think of this as a way people can portray themselves through on-line networking.  I learned that Internet communication is the easiest form to essentially put yourself out there.  It is also the quickest way for others to know what is going on in your life.

4 comments:

  1. It seems that you may be the last of a dying breed: one who actually prefers face to face communication over communication done over the internet or done over any other type of technology. It's scary to think just how reliant we as a society have become on technology. It's also scary to know that the way people portray themselves over the internet could quite possibly be false representation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I can understand how FB would work really well for keeping in contact with family and friends who you are unable to just dial up on your cell phone at any time without these outrageous charges. I had a FB in the past and I found myself quickly becoming attached to checking to see if anyone commented my page or left me photo comments, etc. It became really tiring for myself, and I got over everyone just uploading these photos of themselves when I knew them to be so different from their pages. Now that I created a new page for this class I really enjoyed it because I was able to just make a page for school and fun, rather than to reconnect with people who I was not truly "connecting" with them the way I do with my friends and family whom I talk to and see on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! That's very interesting how you actually enjoy face to face interaction to better than online. On the other hand, I seem to hate dealing with people in person. Every job that I have has seem to involve with more online interaction such as emails, skyping (a form of instant messenger), phone, etc. Even my boss who sits in the next room would ping (message) me instead of getting up over to my office to speak with me in person. But again, I think it all depends on your personality too because I am a very shy person, so I try to avoid face to face contacts as much as possible :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. You and I both brought up the same point regarding how self is established through communication. That is truely the case in todays society. Facebook allows for people to create their identitys by posting pictures, picking what movies and music they want displayed, and carefully choosing what you post. I find it great that you prefer face to face communication. I sometime meet up with friends who I have not seen in years but often it feels lile I had seen them recently (probably because of facebook,twitter). Communicating with them online keeps me updated with their lives and this is a great tool to use with those friends that live far away, but I find myself doing it with others who live much closer, even neighbors!

    ReplyDelete