I thoroughly enjoyed reading this excerpt from Community Media. It made me think of the time when Howard Stern was taken off the radio a few years ago from Live 105. I remember when Stern would boast about how he would enter into satellite radio, everyone would follow. Perhaps it would have been true if satellite was free. However he did make a statement on how radio isn’t “free”. We ultimately have to pay a price sometimes to be able to listen to what we’d like to. That price has to do with control. In the US the FCC controls what can be or can not be said on public radio. On the other hand satellite is different, but there is a fee to listen to satellite. I do like the idea of community media where that it is about shared interests. When it comes down to it, I like the grotesque humor of Stern every now and then, but honestly I much rather listen to those who I can relate to and have interests with.
Hum... interesting point you make about needing to pay a fee to listen to what we want to listen to. I was listening to kqed on the radio and they had a marathon auctioning off some books that were very valuable to the highest bidder who called in that hour. It seemed very unrealistic I believe it was a weekend morning, and as I commuted to San Jose State that day, they didnt make enough money in the auction. I wonder what the repercution of the lack of fundraising is for broadcasting like those. I love kqed pbs radio, because it offers alternative music to the typical kdon and kpig or ktom country. I love the idea of satellite, it really is only about ten dollars a month or less if you pay yearly. I feel this is a reasonable price, but realize many jobs will be lost if satellite takes over completely. Thanks for reminding me who regulates radio and your insite on Stern, Im not a fan, but can appreciate your valuing crude humor :) thx
ReplyDelete