Sunday, May 13, 2012

Discussing stereotypes

The one concept in the book I feel deserved extra discussion is stereotypes. I know that stereotypes seem like an average topic, but I thought that there wasn’t enough discussion on it in the book. It didn’t really go into depth on either the negative or objective aspect. With some of the other concepts there were more examples and explanations. The reason I feel that stereotypes should be further discussed is because though it shouldn’t always be looked at negatively in reality it is. I think that if people were more aware of how stereotypes are simply objective perceptions then they would less likely turn into negative situations of prejudice. I hear too many times in the media how stereotypes are depicted as something negative. I also believe that the media always spins the negative aspect of stereotypes. Personally the stereotypes I think that are made toward my ethnicity or the place I reside are humorous. However not many people would agree at times that stereotypes are neither humorous nor amusing.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree with you that a concept that deserves more discussion would be stereotypes. The book was somewhat vague on the topic. Stereotypes, in my opinion, will always occur. However if people were more aware of them, then it could happen less. Stereotypes are seen in the media, and I think that if the media didn’t portray them, then other people wouldn’t as much either. I like how you find stereotypes that are made towards your ethnicity or place you reside to be humorous. Not everyone find them to be funny and to take a somewhat negative thing and make it funny is a good thing to do. Stereotypes are not fair to people because half the time, they are not even true.

    ReplyDelete