Saturday, March 10, 2012

Was it something I said?

American culture is very different from Asian culture. I come from an Asian background and I have traveled to Asia. I see many differences in how people communicate versus how people communicate in the US. In general much of the communication styles and techniques are similar, but there are significant differences as well. For instance if someone were to be reprimanded by a parent within the Asian culture, we are taught not to speak or look them in the eye. It would be considered rude and disrespectful. However in the American culture, we are suppose to look our parents in the face as a sign that we are listening. Growing up in the US, I had to distinguish this difference early on while I attended school. I can remember a time when I got in trouble for leaving school campus. The Vice-Principle kept saying “Please look at me” and it felt somewhat odd. She thought I was being defiant, but I was reacting as I always did at home. My mother had to go in and explain it to her. After their conversation she understood better why I was reacting the way I did.

1 comment:

  1. I actually can relate very well to your post. Though I am not from an Asian culture, my cousin is. She was adopted when she was nine months old. My Aunt has taught me so much about where my cousin comes from. I too wrote about the eye contact scenario. I find it fascinating that something that I see as being such a simple non-verbal-gesture becomes so innovated between two cultures. This really shows how cultures can be different between the same idea. Also, this shows how non-verbal communication is interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete