I firmly believe that human beings are purely creatures of habit. I grew up in a richly Filipino culture where friends and family kiss on the cheek as a greeting. When my parents divorced we still carried on our traditional greetings even when my mother re-married a Caucasian man. He came from a family where it wasn’t customary to even hug unless you were family or known each other for a long time. When I first met my step-dad’s sister-in-law, I went to give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek and she pulled away. I was completely embarrassed. It was more than habitual-it was traditional. After that encounter I no longer greet with a kiss unless I know it’s appropriate.
I suppose that my way of greeting was my own traditional “habit” however I have altered it since. This is where I would argue that there is a possibility to change cultural traditions. I think that if you experience a shocking indifference similar to what I did with my step-dad’s sister-in-law there is definitely going to be altercations. I also think that if you’re open to new experiences then one shouldn’t be afraid of different customs.
Hey Mall7,
ReplyDeleteAw, I''m sorry to hear about your step-dad's sister-in-law story! I definitely agree with you on how human beings are purely creatures of habits. And like you, I would probably have done the same after experiencing such a shocking moment. Unfortunately, that's why my parents urge me to date someone of the same cultural background so that we can share similar habits and beliefs. However, I refuse to assent with that, simply because I actually enjoy learning about other different cultures and perhaps be able to intertwine them both together to create a custom that I might be comfortable with.